Cancer is the unnatural growth of cells that invade and damage the tissues. Oral cancers include cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, hard palate, soft palate, sinuses, and throat. Oral cancer first appears as a growth or sore in the mouth that does not go away. Oral cancer can be life threatening if not treated early on. The following are common symptoms of oral cancer:
- Swellings, lumps, rough spots, or eroded areas on the lips, gums, or other areas of the mouth
- The formation of velvety white, red, or speckled patches in the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Numbness or tenderness in the face, mouth, or neck
- Persistent sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily
- Soreness or the feeling that something is caught in the throat
- Difficulty eating, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Hoarseness or chronic sore throat
- Ear pain
- A change in your bite
- Dramatic weight loss
During routine dental exams, our dentist will perform a screening for oral cancer in Blackfoot, Idaho. Dr. Damon T. Armstrong will check for lumps or abnormal tissue changes in your head, neck, face, or oral cavity. Our dentist will check your mouth for any sores or any of the symptoms listed above.
Feel free to contact Armstrong Dental today to learn more and to schedule an appointment.